Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Feel safe? Me either!

Feel Safe? Me either!

The CT killings still have my brain in a haze, it was just senseless and awful on every level. I know I'm not alone in still being affected. I was watching the news yesterday and I have to wonder; how did it affect YOU?


Sure, reading through all the Facebook and Twitter timeline feeds, I can see a lot of people are extremely saddened by this, and rightfully so. I watched a Doctor yesterday discuss Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and how those that were at the school will suffer forever...but then he said something else "You can develop PTSD from watching the news".


Is the news responsible for creating fear? Have they crossed the line. I'm sure many will say that it's always been the case but I never heard a doctor openly say it.  Typically, this would be more recognized by war veterans but now, the war is on our own doorstep. How fearful are you? Are we all destined to live in fear?


  I'm not doctor, nor can I offer any advice but this...turn off the TV, hug your children and loved ones and go out for a walk. We are all affected by this. PTSD is extremely serious, if you feel you need to talk...find help. As someone who suffers from depression, I can say first hand, it can spiral out of control before you know it. Let's band together and put the attention where it needs to be...on the nuts that feel they need to make a statement. Try to have a great.


Tomorrow, I need to get back to writing dumb shit...this serious stuff is too sad.

2 comments:

  1. Being a stay at home dad with a 4 and 2 year old this tragedy broke my heart. My daughter goes to preschool four times week for 3 hours a day. The thought of something like this happening at her school just terrifies me.

    I live in a rural area with lots of proud second amendment citizens around me and the gun talk has already been overwhelming. Everyone seems to have an opinion about gun control but no real thoughts about how to keep unstable people from getting them. All the talk just adds to the feeling of helplessness from this tragedy.

    As I watched the news unfold that day I became beyond pissed at the news for not having their facts correct before reporting them. Not little details but major things that should have been straight before reporting. I had to turn everything off and unplug when they did on camera interviews with students at that school the same day, hours after it happened. WTF news people!!!!!!! This was just a sleazy move that made me want a shower. Walter Cronkite would be shaking his head at the situation.

    Every day since then I hold my kids a little tighter and a little longer. I fear going to preschool and next year I dread her entry into elementary school. Am I overreacting, maybe. Am I going to stop, not a chance.

    ReplyDelete